Contact Information

Russia 630102
Novosibirisk
46 Kirova
Russia Novosibirsk Mission
Sister Heather Trottier

(Yes I know it is backwards, its right I promise!)

Sunday, January 8, 2012

December 5th

One of the new converts, Lidia invited us over and she fed up cabbage pie.  Now right when you all read that I know that you are going to scrunch your noses up and imagine how awful it was!  And I would have too before the mission BUT what you don’t' know is that it was really really really good!   The crust was more of a bread than a pie crust and there was fried cabbage and carrots and onion in it!  Oh man it was so good!!  They love cabbage here! They put it in everything! It’s so great! Really.  I like it! I told one of the members that we don't use much of it in America and she was very surprised. I think I will begin using it more when I get home!  I got a recipe for a salad from one lady and only in Russia would a recipe begin with "5 kilograms of cabbage....." haha 
 
 Well, I live in a beautiful place! There is so much snow, it’s a Winter Wonderland!  Seriously!   there is a lot of snow not by the roads and I was confused as to how there wasn't any snow out by the busy roads...well there is but not a lot....and t then one day we were out early and saw huge tractors gathering all of the snow and dumping it in BIG trucks! And taking it somewhere! Haha that’s how much snow there is and it has just begun I think. :)  
 
 
I heard you all got some crazy weather going on over there!  Sounds like the world is ending!  All the Russians here, when they talk about the end of the world say that Siberia is the safest place in the world. They never have natural disasters, it just gets cold sometimes. They think everyone will move here or want to when the world is coming to an end. They think we are all lucky to be here because people keep saying that the "END OF LIGHT" is coming haha we keep telling people it’s not but some don't believe us. :) 
 
 
So there was this man who we saw two times in a row on the metro one day which never ever happens and he kind of laughed and waved...which NEVER EVER happens so of course I went to talk to him.  He knows perfect English.  He has lived all over and I guess that wherever he goes he runs into missionaries!  I told him it was a sign from God....he laughed.   He doesn't believe in God but he practices "raking” I don't know, some kind of healing with your hands I guess.  Anyway we were talking and he said
"Now I don't want you to be offended or anything....but sometimes we call you guys..... (Whispered)...Mormons"
:) Haha I laughed and said haha yes I know!  And he asked if it was offensive! I told him no, that Mormon was a man, a prophet!  He had no idea
 
Along with that we were discussing the book of Mormon with one of our investigators named Yanshima and we were talking about Mormon and she also had no idea what it meant!  She said that it made her feel a lot better about our "new book” maybe we should let that information more readily known about what exactly "Mormon" means. 
 
On my year mark, (yes I hit it and it’s strange and crazy. I can't believe that I it has been that long and at the same time I can't remember really what I did before the mission)  I decided to make goals and plans in order to accomplish all that I had wanted to accomplish and all that the Lord wants me to accomplish in the next 6 months.  It’s crazy.  I have freaked out a lot about not having the kind of success that I want to have or I guess what I call success, but what I have realized and what I am trying to take into myself is that idea that it’s not what I think I should be doing but what the Lord thinks I should be doing. So I have changed my prayers to ask that I am able to fulfill the purpose that He sent me here to do.  Not what I want to do.  
 
The president invited us to come to the leadership training although technically we are not leaders and it was incredible!  I loved it.   One song that they played that has become a lot more meaningful is the song "window to His love" I truly want to become what this song says.  So that "when you look at me you will see Him" ... "because his love will shine brightly through me"....."And with each passing day I want to fade away, till only He, can be seen and I become a window to His love".  I want to become this. But the more I try, the more I realize how big of a task it is.   A girl asked us this week if we think that we are like Christ is and I said, "We sure are trying, that is our goal, to become like Him".  That is what I want.  
 
Well I have just rambled and babbled again but I love you all!  I hope all is well and that you are all happy. I love this work.  Establishing the Kingdom of God on earth is a line upon line thing, but it is continuous and we are part of that work and His hand is in every detail. You just have to look for it, recognize it and acknowledge it! 
 
I love you!
 
Sister Trotter 
 
ps: I am glad you all like my long hair....haha but I was jealous of Sami and I cut it all off haha!  It’s a pretty Russian haircut but I am happier haha my companion said it was crazy but I really am nicer when my hair is shorter haha

No comments:

Post a Comment